Sunday, February 11, 2007

The first 5 - clinical

Well I have sucessfully completed my first week of actual nursing. Oh my what a thrill. It has been a turbulant week, with more ups and downs than a rollercoaster, but all in all I am very exctited to be 'on my own' next week with my own patient load and things to do.

I was boosted by how well I was able to get stuck into the work this week, and I was also touched that so many patients commented on how thoughtful, caring and nice I was.

I was able to nurse such a variety of patients this week from respiratory distress, to cuts and bruises, tetanus shots, abdo pain, chest pain to terminal cancer patients. It has been such a learning curve but I am confident that I handled myself well.

The only negative thing I have to say about the whole week is that some staff still insist on treating the new grads poorly. We were called students too many times to count, and were even referred to as left overs on one occasion. I know it is small stuff but these are times of very high sensitivity and feelings of inadequecy. - I can only hope that in time they will come around. I hope too that we will all learn to just let it go without taking it personally.

Looking forward to next week!!!

No comments: